RSS Feed

Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Story Behind My Recent Surgery


After 5 days at the hospital, I was discharged this morning. Everything is still the same at home. I miss my work, but the boys are doing alright. They briefed me on the project's developments while I was away. All instructions that I gave on Thursday had been followed up and only a few things are still outstanding. I really can count on them as they are all of good integrity.


The surgery to remove an intramedullary nail from my previously fractured tibia was a successful one. My orthopedic surgeon assured me that my leg is going to be okay and there is no infection whatsoever. Dr. Hasnan whom I know back in the UK while he furthers his study in Ireland is a very good man. He is the one who suggested to me to remove that intramedullary nail from my tibia as it was fully recovered. My surgeon has said it's quite common for people to have this kind of hardware removed, but since he's never experienced it personally it's hard for him to explain to me the exact way things will go after removal. Anyway I thank him for his kind advice. 


I'm wondering how long it's going to take me until I can run again without the fear of my leg just snapping in half. Also, how long it's going to be before I can get to lift heavy loads without fear of re-injury. 

Ample time I have got while lying on the hospital bed gets me into thinking of lots of things. Many things came to my mind. While lying there, I wonder who else apart from my mother will miss me. I do not have the answer because one person who I believe will miss me the most is no longer in this world.

Suddenly I recalled the incident as to why I have to have this surgery. All of this begins when my wife went to Heaven in mid 2006 and I was very depressed since. I tried to make myself occupied by actively involved in many activities and sports such as motor-racing, scuba diving, para-gliding and etc. 

In 2008, while working for Tony Gee and Partners LLP on Phu My Bridge project, I was assigned to a structural design group at its Ashford office in Kent, England for almost a year. At that time I was staying with a few collegues who are actively involved in motor-racing. During off-days I will be at Lydden Hill Race Circuit near Canterbury driving car or riding bike with few friends. I had entered 2 local races with my Honda Fire Blade. In autumn that year I bought a new Yamaha R-1 super bike. That bike really powerful and it impressed me a lot. I had tested the track with the new Yamaha R-1 for 3 weeks in a row. On Trackdays in August as suggested by a close friend, I decided to enter another local race with my new bike. 

It was a very cozy Saturday with friends and local spectators around. The race started at about 1.30 pm and everybody is excited. There were 23 riders in that particular start-up. I'm only an average casual racer and starting in the 17th place. My starting was bad and losses 2 places in the 1st lap. In the 3rd lap I was able to overtake 3 slow racers and making a good progress. I was maintaining my position in the next few laps. In the 9th lap, while trying overtaking maneuver a racer suddenly lost control of his bike and swaying in front of me. I braked very hard but was so close to him and have no other alternatives but to head into the grassy ground. I was unable to handle my bike firmly and crash to the ground. In the midst, the bike falls on my right leg and despite wearing a very good race boots it was too heavy for it. I can fell my leg break and it was very painful but I'm not fainted.

Emergency crews got there quickly and whisked me away to East Kent Hospitals, Canterbury (an outstanding trauma and orthopedic hospital). After giving me pain medication and cutting my clothes off of me, they took lots of X-rays and prepped me for surgery.

During a 2.5 hour procedure, a titanium (intramedullary) nail was inserted into my weight-bearing tibia. Five screws were used to secure it in place. The surgery was performed by Dr. Jens Chapman of the Orthopedics Department. On Sunday evening, the open wound above my ankle was again cleaned and finally sewn closed. My fibula was left unfixed, and the doctors promised me it would align and heal itself in due time. The nail is not intended to be permanent, and will be removed later.

After some rehabilitation exercises that taught me how to use crutches, I was released on Wednesday. My bike was not badly damaged and I managed to get some money out of it. I have live with intramedullary nail in my leg ever since. Lately, when it's raining or staying in air-conditioned room for long time, I feel a little uncomfortable with those screws inside my leg. I went to see my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Hasnan a few times and finally decided to remove the hardware for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment